Second in the Abstract Flower Series
I've just finished up another larger abstract piece, the second in the series that I've been working on.
Something that I struggle with is not letting large areas of color fall flat. Brushwork is something I'm always trying to improve and this time, I decided to try my hand at applying paint with my palette knife AND my brush. Why not, right?? I need to stop obsessing about blending, I think.
I mixed up a few different greys, a few different blushes and pinks, and then a peachier sort of color. The nice (and terrible) thing about acrylic paint is that it dries so fast, so I was able to layer the color on fairly quick. I used the knife to create interesting edges, and a flat to blend the colors together in some areas. Another thing that I like to do when I'm working on a bigger piece is to use a modeling paste to create interesting textures to break up and complicate big chunks of color.
The three pictures are below are some in progress shots- I really liked the wide swath of dark off to the right, but the longer I worked the more it started looking too bouquet-y.
So added in more light values and tried to slim down the shapes in the center.
It's interesting to me to see how this larger one differs and is the same as the first one in this series.
Materials: Mixed Media: Acrylic, Charcoal and Oil Pastels on Canvas
Title & Size: "Prince Jardinier" // 36" x 48" x 1.5″
Shop my materials:
Shop the Room:
Purchase this painting